Monday, September 6, 2021

Sadness Left Over

If the Lord knows my thoughts,
For what pain will He exchange them?
Does he take pleasure in my anguish?
Or shall I keep silent?

Will I say to you,
"Here is my heart,"
And you to me,
"And mine,"

But keep part back,
For the Lord alone?

He knows our thoughts,
Shall we tell them to each other?
What does He delight in pain?

Truth of heart,
I am trying to confess
To you who will not receive it.

And sadness left over.







Righteous art thou, O Lord, when I plead with thee: yet let me talk with thee of thy judgments: Wherefore doth the way of the wicked prosper? wherefore are all they happy that deal very treacherously?
Thou hast planted them, yea, they have taken root: they grow, yea, they bring forth fruit: thou art near in their mouth, and far from their reins.

Justus quidem tu es, Domine, si disputem tecum; verumtamen
justa loquar ad te: Quare via impiorum prosperatur? &c. 
Thou art indeed just, Lord, if I contend 
With thee; but, sir, so what I plead is just. 
Why do sinners’ ways prosper? and why must 
Disappointment all I endeavour end? 
    Wert thou my enemy, O thou my friend, 
How wouldst thou worse, I wonder, than thou dost 
Defeat, thwart me? Oh, the sots and thralls of lust 
Do in spare hours more thrive than I that spend, 
Sir, life upon thy cause. See, banks and brakes 
Now, leavèd how thick! lacèd they are again 
With fretty chervil, look, and fresh wind shakes 
Them; birds build – but not I build; no, but strain, 
Time’s eunuch, and not breed one work that wakes. 
Mine, O thou lord of life, send my roots rain.

No comments:

Post a Comment