Thursday, April 24, 2014

God Bless This Cheap Hotel

I'm going to Kent.

I think I'll swing down through Evansville,
And make my way up the valley
To see how the streams have shaped the landscape
Along the border between Indiana and Kentucky.
I'll crawl through Southern Ohio,
Along the foothills of Appalachia,
Where the roads are as crooked
As an old man's thumb.

I'll take my time, getting there.
It may take ten years or more,
And I may stop to rest a while
In the caverns just down the road from Mad River Mountain
With a jug of moonshine and a lotus flower.
And if I fall asleep, or wake in Circe's bedroom,
Don't bother with the spindles,
Nor wait to bury my father. 

I will wake when the wars have passed
And return an old man with a long, grey beard. 
Tell the Warby Gals their daddy got hit by a train.
Find a man with a thin mustache and a white suit,
Someone bona fide.
I will seek the treasure in a cheap hotel.
I will raid Polyphemus, blaspheme Zeus, 
And trust Athena to save me.

While I am sleeping, I will dream of you.
While I am awake, 
I will dream of the god I have become, 
Writing poems about love, alone with coffee and crackers.
For now, I'm making my bed with the misfits,
Hoping to find something to search for.
As for heaven,
I'll believe it when I see it with my own two eyes.

1 comment: