Saturday, April 19, 2014

Ape Man

There are times I think
I would like to lie down in the detritus
As the animals do, beneath a canopy of trees,
To sleep and dream without thinking of yesterday or tomorrow,
To roll onto my side, leaves sticking to my back,
Eating grass and bugs and grubs,
And millions of acorns,
That shower from the trees above my head,
Beard growing thick, hair growing long,
Taking long drinks from the streams,
Resting in Eden as Adam did.

Instead, I will maintain my lawn on the sabbath morning,
In time to watch the baseball game that starts at two
On a television I bought from Wal-Mart,
Where also I purchased potato salad and hot dogs
That I will scorch on blue propane flames,
Upon a grill I bought from Wal-Mart, too,
And later in the afternoon,
We will drive to eat ice cream
Made from sugar, milk, and coal,
Taking in a movie in the evening,
With popcorn, flavored oils, and strawberry flavored Twizzlers.

In the morning I will rise early to celebrate the resurrection of the Lord,
And thank him for saving me from death.

2 comments:

  1. I am always tempted to click goah, but I don't really mean it. I like it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for liking. Goah is my brother. I put that label there in case he ever wants to give me some sort of affirmation without needing to say that he likes it. Encouragement can be difficult among brothers.

      Delete