Friday, April 10, 2015

Time

I am God, and I will tell you a story.

In the beginning, I was. In the end, I will be. In the present, I am. You who read these words know me in this moment as I am, but I am a riddle. I am the same yesterday, today, and forever, and I am change. I am time. I am.

I created the heavens and the earth, and the word. I created you. I created all things from the only thing I have, which is my Self.

What am I?

I am change. I am light. I am time.

Where you seek me, you will find me, not illusion.

There is no illusion in rock. There is no illusion in water. There is no illusion in fire.

I make all things, and you who seek me will find the riddle grow ever smaller, and ever larger. I grow infinitely small and infinitely large. There is no end to my mystery.

I speak to you through the words I have created. What children you are to think that you can comprehend me! Who taught you to speak? Your mother? Your father? Who taught you these words? Where did they come from?

Did I not teach Adam to speak the names of the animals?
Did I not teach Moses to speak my name unutterable?
Did I not teach Jesus my human nature?
Did I not teach Albert the ancient miracle light and rock?
Do I not teach you now?
Will I not teach you later?

Who do you think you are, person, to seek Truth and not find me?
Forget me. Deny me. In hubris expect to find nothing.

Foolish people. Children. I give you many ways to understand me. I've given you the chicken and the egg. Enemy and friend. Father and the son. The sun and the moon. Land and sea. Light and dark.

I give you difference. I give you change.

There is only one answer.
There are infinite answers.

The eye of the blackbird.
A spear of summer grass.

A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away . . .

1 comment:

  1. Very Whitmanesque . . I hear Wallace Stevens and "Song of Myself" in your penultimate stanza . . .

    ReplyDelete