Friday, July 25, 2014

Erosion

By Geoff Hughes

I make my way along the rugged trail
Descending easily over rocks and roots,
A steep descent but legs and lungs prevail
Strapped into loaded pack and sturdy boots.

This canyon offers up no welcome mat,
No crews to keep the trail in top repair
But, here by choice, I never aimed for that.
I simply seek the joy of open air.

Yes, that and proof that at the big seven-O
I still have what it takes to climb the slope.
So down two thousand feet I aim to go.
To climb back out intact my only hope.

Switchbacks steep and perilous do greet
My every step, but right and left huge walls
Rise up and up, as if the clouds to meet
And leave me gazing humbly out in awe.

My pride in what I’m doing at my stage
Of life is held in check by nature’s realm.
These rocks, their stature, their unfathomable age
Have at the least the power to overwhelm.

They mock my seventy years.  “You’re old?” they say,
“Can you believe two billion since our birth?
So if one-up’s the game you want to play
I fear you’ll find out what your pride is worth.”

Descending still I reach a level field
And pause to contemplate the canyon walls,
See countless boulders that the cliffs still yield
And taluses that somehow break their fall.

They perch like statues on those littered slopes
Not moving now but clearly having moved
And moved again, as if belying hopes
Of tumbling to the bottom of this groove.

But clearly that’s ten million years away.
I stand and honor what I see today.
My pride’s eroded like these rocks.  My age
A trifle seen on God’s eternal stage.

No comments:

Post a Comment