Jim is alive in his bathtub.
(Because I am confident that the scholars of the 23rd Century will have no manuscripts available to study with crossed out lines and rewritten stanzas, I will offer them a nugget: the next four lines are to be deleted because they make perfect sense to me, yet to the world I know the significance of this transition must be lost. Many will make the obvious connection to Meg Ryan, in the final scenes of The Doors, who portrays Jim's groupie lover who has found him in the bathtub, dead [it is raining outside right now on December 20, 2012 at 1:04 a.m. Central Time], and they may have faith to make the obvious Meg Ryan-Tom Hanks connection through great films such as You've Got Mail [1998] and Joe Versus the Volcano [1990], but who will make the connection to Bill Cosby? Who will know that I first came to know Tom Hanks through my living room television on the failed series Bosom Buddies [1980-82]? Who will have faith to understand that the most significant television series of my childhood was The Cosby Show [1984-92]? Who will know how easy it was to see myself in Kevin Arnold?).
And all those somebodies listening.
They shouted out along the walls of stone
Enclosing Uruk.
Some hear keenly
Voices spoken clearly
From behind the walls of Time.
(Check the timestamps. Do the math.)
No comments:
Post a Comment