Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Gossip

I have this recollection:
Of when I was three years old, or four, or seven,
That I would lie upon my back on scratchy, red carpet
That was fraying in tight rows that ran parallel to the cabinetry,
In my mother's kitchen,
And I would pull long strands of yarn out of the floor
While mom talked on the phone,
On Tuesdays or Thursdays
At ten o'clock in the morning,
Putting away dishes
Handset cocked between her neck and shoulder,
Gossipping with Mary,
Or Shirley, or Sherlyn, or Carolyn
Discussing affairs of people I did not know,
Like Marsha, or Martha, or Donna,
Complaining how people could try harder
To understand what it was my mother 
And the tiny voice inside the telephone receiver
Were so adamant about, 
And how important it was to pay attention
To the way that others were feeling
About the situation.

I must have pulled miles of string out of that carpet
As I stretched my tiny toes up toward the ceiling,
The long, coiled cables of telephone cords
Wrapping around my feet.

No comments:

Post a Comment