Thursday, April 12, 2012

Letter to My Sisters, Whom I Have Used

Nine months pregnant,
Hips burdened with the Weight of the Universe,
Shoulders shrugged,
Feet bloated,
Insatiable desire to be filled
With more than emptiness.

You are the Cosmos,
Vessel,
Emptied and filled,
Emptied and filled,
Emptied and filled,
We drink from you.

How long to endure?
How long to bear?
How long to give and not to take?
How long to find no self but that which finds its self in you?
How long to walk across barrenness with no fruit but your womb?
How long to be used?

You are Leviathan,
Sister,
Dwell in the depths,
Hide under waters,
Sleep in wakeful silence,
We dare not disturb your peace.

The Moon pulls the tides:
The Earth reaches out to her,
But never touches her face.
Changeless Changing,
Eternal Moment
Insatiable Satisfier,

Rest, as I wash your feet.

1 comment:

  1. I got distracted by the word sister for a while. This is a beautiful tribute to women.

    ReplyDelete