I stepped on the shattered plastic of a cheap gum ball dispenser
It lay at the foot of a Silver Maple in my the back yard of my childhood,
With a great, wide base
And roots that grew certainly
With the naive permanence of childhood.
It expands to a space:
A shed, a sickly Red Maple, a juvenile Pin Oak.
No tree unclimbed,
No fear uncalculated.
I jumped from the roof of that shed a hundred times,
Knowing even then that I fell with the graceful lightness of youth.
It ends with people:
A retired neighbor, planting banana peppers behind the white fence,
His grandson, a wiffle ball mate,
Legions of ghost runners,
Zacharies, Zacharies, Zacharies!
And their endless He-Men and Skeletors!
It lingers:
The sickly tree is gone.
The action figures packed away.
My knees too weak and my body too fat for a fall of ten feet.
And the neighbors, too, are gone, all of them.
But their houses remain, like this.
No comments:
Post a Comment