Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Writing Lesson #1

My sister thinks she cannot write.
But then she wrote this:

"The earthworm/bandaid made me think of a sad story about a boy who thought if he put two frogs in a blender that he would end up with a really big frog."

Do this:

A happy young boy wanted a really big frog,
So he placed two frogs in a blender
And became a sad boy instead.

Or:

Two frogs
In one blender
Are not one frog
In one blender.
But they are, too.

Or:

When the blender erupted
In a WHIR! of splatter
And crushed bone,
Two toads became one,
But less toady.

Or:

To be blended
In a blender
Would be a bad way to die
For a frog
Or for a human being.

Or:

Several frogs that are blended together
Become indistinguishable

Or:

If I wanted a really big frog,
I would go to a pond, on a quiet farm
At night
With a large net
At the end of a long, bamboo stick.
In the black darkness
By the glassy reflection of moon on water
Surrounded by a cacophony
Of croak and ribbit and bulge,
I would lower my net
To the green giant
Who would struggle against capture,
Pulling the nylon web down, down, down
To the bottom of the pond
Into the blue and black and cold.
The giant's weight would bend the thin bamboo
In an elegant curve
As I pulled the king from his slimy citadel.
When I lifted him to the moonlight,
Regarding his blackness against the whiteness of the moon
While water dropped in rivulvets,
Retreating to the black water,
The shaft would not
Break
Like the bones of two toads
In an Osterizer.

8 comments:

  1. I've got the first line, but still working on the rest. It's going to take a while. Here goes:

    "The cutter didn't really think his hypothesis through."

    ReplyDelete
  2. The hypothesis was fine. It was the experiment that was flawed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The boy loved science. He would talk to me about his theories all the time. I'm the SCIENTIST; he was just a freshman, but I loved to hear his mind at work. Especially since he had some problems in his life; and he was a cutter.

    His first cuts came when he was a small boy and caused him to scream hysterically in the kitchen. His mom quickly unplugged the blender. His first experiment had turned out to be a horrible, bloody mess.

    Three frogs.... He had just wanted one BIG one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know where you all got it from, but I did not get my share...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Monica - I think I just passed high school English, but it was fun to get feedback from an awesome teacher!

    ReplyDelete
  6. When God was handing out writing skills, He gave mine to everyone else in the family...don't feel bad Monica...He gave you the numbers!!

    ReplyDelete